[Ads-l] mineware (2014) (crypto)

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 11 23:38:37 UTC 2017

Digital Trends (Eric Brackett, "Would you mind if someone openly used your phone to mine cryptocurrency?”, http://bit.ly/2zDsPtJ <http://bit.ly/2zDsPtJ>) has just released an article on the practice of apps mining cryptocurrency instead of showing ads as a source of revenue.

Although the article doesn’t use the word “mineware,” I found four other instances, three below.

1. 2014
http://bit.ly/2yunGmo <http://bit.ly/2yunGmo> (Please don’t click the title link as the site appears to configured improperly and might have malware)
by ilya88

——
Mineware: Showtime Media Center supported by voluntary litecoin mining
——

As unlikely as that date seems, http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=67271 <http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=67271> mentions the use of Showtime Media Center mining litecoin.

2. 7 Mar 2015
http://bit.ly/2zwRdiJ <http://bit.ly/2zwRdiJ>
SOS

——
Hmm, I never thought about mineware before instead of adware for companies to make money off of freeware.
——

2. 8 May 2017
https://twitter.com/pgbrum/status/865109199788888065 <https://twitter.com/pgbrum/status/865109199788888065>
Pablo Brum

——
It's not every day that you get to coin (heh) a new term, but beginning today malware that mines cryptocurrency = mineware
——

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA