[Ads-l] beltway

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 13 14:16:00 EST 2017

> Excellent work, Peter. It looks like the predecessor term to "beltway"
was "belt highway".

In Wisconsin (Madison, anyway) it's known as "the Beltline".  WikiP lists 2
"beltline" entries, Madison Hwy 12 and Oregon (where's it noted as "not a
complete beltway":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Route_569
)* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed>* Our local
newspaper cites an article
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ask/just-ask-us/just-ask-us-how-did-the-beltline-get-its-name/article_b7a67428-f81f-5530-9242-d66a8c16bfb9.html

claiming "A State Journal article published Aug. 14, 1937, reports that
Randall Avenue property owners petitioned the City Council for the creation
of β€œan outer belt line".  The actual construction started in 1948

--

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com
608 658-1890 cell