[Ads-l] beltway

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 13 19:16:00 UTC 2017

> Excellent work, Peter. It looks like the predecessor term to "beltway"
was "belt highway".

In Wisconsin (Madison, anyway) it's known as "the Beltline".  WikiP lists 2
"beltline" entries, Madison Hwy 12 and Oregon (where's it noted as "not a
complete beltway":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Route_569
)* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed>* Our local
newspaper cites an article
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ask/just-ask-us/just-ask-us-how-did-the-beltline-get-its-name/article_b7a67428-f81f-5530-9242-d66a8c16bfb9.html

claiming "A State Journal article published Aug. 14, 1937, reports that
Randall Avenue property owners petitioned the City Council for the creation
of “an outer belt line".  The actual construction started in 1948

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com
608 658-1890 cell
608 261-5738 wk