[Ads-l] LSA Public Lecture on Language

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 15 16:45:02 UTC 2017

It's been a long time coming, but here's the video for my LSA Public
Lecture on Language at last January's meeting in Austin. I talk about the
hunt for new words, both real and fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlu_Et8J8Ao

I discuss the work that Charles Carson, Jane Solomon, and I have been doing
for "Among the New Words" in American Speech, often drawing on ADS WOTY
nominees. I also talk about some pop-culture touchstones, like the movies
"Ball of Fire" and "Clueless," as well as the great grunge-speak prank of
1992, which happens to be celebrating its 25th anniversary today!

https://www.theringer.com/music/2017/11/8/16615842/grunge-new-york-times-slang

--bgz