[Ads-l] Japanese/Vedic/line/stick multiplication

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 21 05:33:40 UTC 2017

There are a number of videos showing a technique for doing multiplication in which lines are drawn and addition is used to find the product.

At https://tapintoteenminds.com/japanese-multiplication/ <https://tapintoteenminds.com/japanese-multiplication/>, Kyle Pearce says, "I’ve heard some call it Chinese multiplication, multiplication from India, Vedic multiplication, stick multiplication, line multiplication and many more.”

The earliest video I’ve found is at http://www.metacafe.com/watch/296904/easy_graphical_multiplication_trick/ <http://www.metacafe.com/watch/296904/easy_graphical_multiplication_trick/>, 15 November 2006. The title there is “Easy Graphical Multiplication Trick.”

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA