[Ads-l] Does anyone out there know Finnish?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Nov 24 14:40:08 UTC 2017

> On Nov 24, 2017, at 7:14 AM, W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kalsarik%C3%A4nni
> Boxer boozing
> Etymology
> kalsari- +‎ känni
> Noun
> kalsarikänni
> (slang, often in plural) Occasion of getting drunk alone at home,
> presumably watching TV in one's underpants.

“Presumably”?  Still pretty mysterious.  If I tell you (in English, since my Finnish is rusty) that I’m planning to spend the day getting drunk at home, I don’t expect you to presume I’ll be doing so while watching TV in my underpants.  Or "boxer boozing", which does suggest that someone in the English-speaking world has *that* concept down, although AFAIK "boxer boozing” doesn’t necessarily presume a coterminous interval of couch potatoing.  All very mysterious.  Perhaps a grant application to the NSF behavioral sciences division is in order.

LH