[Ads-l] bitcoin as generic term for cryptocurrencies

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 6 20:19:39 UTC 2017

Band-Aid and the like are, like Velcro that I mentioned the other day, trademark issues. That and the genericization of bitcoin might be the same issue; I’m not sure. C.f. “overextension", such as found in child speech (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Errors_in_early_word_use#Overextension <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Errors_in_early_word_use#Overextension>).

Crypto doesn’t mean “hidden”. It means “cryptography” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptocurrency <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptocurrency>).

FWIW, cryptocoins with an emphasis on privacy/anonymization are generally known as “privacy coins”. I have seen an argument that anonymization is really the focus and so “privacy coin” is a misnomer.

BB