[Ads-l] Incept v. Lives!

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Tue Oct 10 18:41:18 UTC 2017

There appears to be another specialty / technical jargon sense in the field
of neuroscience, specifically the study of how memories are formed, change,
and disappear (see, apparently, the movie "Inception"). These processes are
nowadays studied in real time with tools such as fMRI. Here's a bunch of
uses from a paper:

===
Title: :Enhance, delete, incept: Manipulating hippocampus-dependent
memories"
Optogenetics and DREADDs can be used to incept memories.
In reality, is it possible to artificially store or “incept” new memories
in our brain?
While we are still far away from the ability to download kung fu into our
brains, we have crossed this first hurdle of incepting new associative
memories in our brains.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0361923013002074
===

There seems to be another sense, whose precise meaning isn't 100% clear to
me. Maybe it just means "add subjects to a study":

===
Among a final total of over 250 patients incepted, we have reported in
interim sub-samples the characteristics of NSS at the first-episode (Browne
et al., 2000a,b) and at 6-month follow-up (Whitty et al., 2003). Described
here are findings among the complete inception population on predictors,
‘progression’ and relationship to diagnosis and functional outcome of NSS
from first presentation to 4 year follow-up.
We incepted patients with a first psychotic episode who presented to Cluain
Mhuire Family Centre (a catchment area service that provides psychiatric
care for an urban population of approximately 192,000) and St. John of God
Hospital, Dublin (a private psychiatric hospital that receives referrals
from the catchment area and across Ireland). Following approval from the
Research Ethics Committee of St. John of God Hospital, all patients gave
informed consent to their participation in the study. First episode
psychosis was defined as first presentation to any psychiatric service with
a psychotic episode. If medication had been prescribed prior to
presentation, patients were incepted provided they had not been on
medication for more than 30 days.
===

Sounds a little ominous. (I only looked at papers whose authors' names and
affiliations suggested they might be mostly native speakers.)

Chris

Chris Waigl . chris.waigl at gmail.com . chris at lascribe.net
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net . http://chryss.eu