[Ads-l] "kick ass" 1862?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 12 18:31:19 UTC 2017

"Kick like an ass" seems to me to be out of the running. The two-word
phrase hardly suggests the longer one. What's more, if the writer had
intended "kick like an ass," I'd have expected him to have given himself
more space.

What seems off is the position of the sentence "I want to kick ass" added
between the lines in this context. It seems a little odd for him to
emphasize his eagerness to re-enlist and fight some more in these words:
it's rather too strong for the tenor of the paragraph. In fact, it's
practically a non sequitur. Why so suddenly coarse? Why no other suggestion
that the writer wants to re-enlist.

Stephens suggestion that the intended meaning is "I want to kick *his* ass"
makes good sense to me: the "his" may have been elided inadvertently, or
because it wouldn't fit the tiny space. What's more, the position between
the lines shows it's an afterthought, and "I want too kick his ass" may be
a more likely afterthought than "I want to kick ass in general."

JL