[Ads-l] mad king

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sun Oct 15 20:09:23 UTC 2017

I would assume that Game of Thrones would be the most topical and intended reference, especially as the context of the discussion was Trump invoking the possibility of using nuclear weapons. In GoT, the mad king was assassinated by his palace guard when he attempted to burn the capital city.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Chris Waigl
Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2017 2:23 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] mad king

I think there are a lot of options for which historical figure or literary character a speaker might think about when they evoke the "mad king" trope.

My first thought would have been to Ludwig II of Bavaria, while a French friend first thought of Charles VI of France.

For the English-speaking world, those with a solid education in literature will probably point to King Lear, or some other Shakespearean mad kings. There's apparently also a Mad King (Thorn) character in the
Guildwars2 video game franchise.

(And of course a Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mentally_ill_monarchs )

Chris