[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] where to find sympathy

Thu Oct 19 21:13:36 UTC 2017

Excellent 1951 citation, Bill.

Ben gave an 1880 citation for the precursor quip in his article on the
Strong Language blog. Here is an instance of the precursor in 1868.

Date: August 13, 1868
Newspaper: Watchman & Reflector (Christian Watchman)
Newspaper Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Section: Literary and Miscellaneous Departments
Article: Life At Sea (Article for the Watchman and Reflector)
Author: Rev. J. D. Fulton
Quote Page 5, Column 3
Database: GenealogyBank

[Begin excerpt]
Since the first two or three days nearly all have been well, and never
was there a company more social, more kind or considerate. The old
negro preacher who said, "If you want to find sympathy look in the
dictionary for it," could never have been to sea. Here all sympathize
with the sufferers, and help to contribute to their relief and
comfort.
[End excerpt]

Garson