[Ads-l] Heard: "The truth _shon_ through."

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 20 00:51:27 UTC 2017

> standard in Canada and the UK.

I kinda wondered about that. The Justice Network - though I wouldn't be
surprised, if you've never heard of it - is a Canadian thing. This network
has a woman who specializes in voice-overing. On some random show, she not
only narrated, but she also appeared. I was shocked, shocked! to see that
she was black. But, then, I recalled, as has already been discussed in
these pages, Black English is one of the few, genuine examples of American
exceptionalism. Dialect-variation according to race as well as according to
class and to education is one of the dwindling number of products still
"MADE IN U.S.A."

"Love Is Blue" has _words_?! IAC, I went to YouTube and listened to the
Andy Williams version, but I didn't hear anything untoward, just
"shone"/"gone" as an eye-rhyme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqa9eVL67HQ

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 7:02 AM, Geoffrey Nathan <geoffnathan at wayne.edu>
wrote:

> 'Shon' is standard in Canada and the UK. That's how I've always said it,
> despite the occasional
> joshing from Margaret, who's from Brooklyn and doesn't say it that way
> .
> As for Americans saying it this way, consider the old Andy Williams song,
> Love is Blue:
>
> When we met how the bright sun shone
> Then love died, now the rainbow is gone
>

>  Geoffrey S. Nathan
>  WSU Information Privacy Officer (Retired)
>  Emeritus Professor, Linguistics Program
>  http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
>
>  geoffnathan at wayne.edu
>
>  Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it
> to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email  looks.

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain