[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] "Niger" or "Niger"?

Salikoko S. Mufwene mufw at UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri Oct 20 22:29:15 UTC 2017

Thanks to JL and WB (whose full name I've never seen) for their
informative responses. I must point out that the connection (apparently
accidental) between /Niger /and the N-word is only in the written
modality, not in the spoken forms heard on TV or radio broadcasts. I
found it a little bit bizarre that some connection was established at
all between the two words. Of the etymologies I just googled, the Tuareg
alternative (related to the perhaps indigenous name for the Niger River)
sounds more plausible historically than that tracing it to Latin. (If
this were the case, the French could have named many of their African
colonies likewise!) There's even one that goes to Greek, through
Ptolomy's writing, although I wonder whether Ptolomy knew of the region.
Well, curiosity can take us in all sorts of directions.

Below is the etymology passage from Wikitionary:
Commonly linked by folk etymology to Latin niger (“black”), which likely
influenced the modern spelling. Some sources give the term to Tuareg
roots, deriving it from a claimed gher n-gheren or egereou n-igereouen
(“river of rivers”).[1][2] Older sources derive Niger via a series of
mistranslations and geographic misplacements by Greek, Roman and Arab
geographers, from Ptolemy's descriptions of the valley Gir (a wadi in
modern Algeria), and the "Lower Gir" (or "Ni-Gir") to the south.[3]