[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] "Niger" or "Niger"?

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Sun Oct 22 14:54:37 UTC 2017

I learned the limerick as
    There was a young girl from the Niger
    Who smiled as she rode on a tiger
        They came back from the ride
        With the girl inside
    And the smile on the face of the tiger

"the" in the first line is needed for the meter.  It implies the girl came, not from a specific country, but from somewhere along the Niger River.

There is an old choosing rhyme "Eenie Meenie Miney Mo".  I have heard that the original of the second line was "Catch a n* by the toe" but it has been bowdlerized to "tiger" since at least as long as I've been around.  Interesting.  "N*" --> "tiger"