[Ads-l] More on Niger

Sun Oct 22 20:19:04 UTC 2017

Fred has an entry for the "Niger" version of the limerick in "The Yale
Book of Quotations". He mentions the common attribution to Cosmo
Monkhouse and gives an 1891 citation.

Here is a citation for the "Riga" version of the limerick from a
temperance speech in January 1887 in Northern Ireland.

Date: January 12, 1887
Newspaper: The Northern Whig
County: Antrim, Northern Ireland
Article: Public Meeting in the Ulster Hall
Quote Page 7, Column 5
Database: British Newspaper Archive

[Begin excerpt]
When he thought of England and the drink traffic as carried on at
present, he was reminded of nursery verse which was quoted on a
platform recently in another connection--

There was a young lady of Riga,
Who went out for a ride a tiger.
They came back from that ride
With the lady inside,
And smile on the face of the tiger.

(Laughter.) That was an illustration of what would follow if the
British people tampered much longer with the drink question, playing
with the monster which was only waiting the opportunity to devour
them. (Hoar, hear.)
[End excerpt]

Below is a citation in a London periodical for the "Niger" version in
April 1887.