[Ads-l] Gandhi-Attributed Quote

Tue Oct 24 06:33:29 UTC 2017

Back in May 2017 Fred inquired about a saying popularly attributed
Mahatma Gandhi, and now the Quote Investigator website has an entry on
the topic:

Be the change you wish to see in the world
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/10/23/be-change/

The article includes a 1913 precursor written by Gandhi.

[Begin acknowledgment]
Great thanks to Vickie MacFadden, Andrew L. Weber, and Lisa Robinton
whose inquiries led QI to formulate this question and perform this
exploration. Special thanks to Charles Doyle, Donna Halper, Brian
Morton, Fred Shapiro, and Nigel Rees for their research on this topic.
Doyle located the 1974 citation independently of QI; Halper located
the 1975 citation; Morton identified the Gandhi precursor. Thanks also
to discussant Jonathan Lighter and the volunteer editors at Wikiquote.
[End acknowledgment]

Garson