[Ads-l] No = 'yes; truly'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 27 18:41:53 UTC 2017

Unbelievers!  Chew on this:

WOLF BLITZER: So Rosa, are officials treating these as credible threats,
and have they beefed up security around her?

ROSA FLORES: [Having nodded head "yes" slightly and slowly a few times to
show she's listening, shakes head once emphatically "no."] No, they *are*
taking these threats very seriously, Wolf.

CNN, 1:48 p.m. ET today. (My wife heard it first and urged me to rewind.)

Also, "Yes! We have no bananas!" is funny even (or especially) to people
who don't know the song or the lyrical "explanation."

What is the rule that says that "Yes!" is idiomatically impossible (and
therefore hilarious) here?

JL