[Ads-l] Very Sad News

Sun Oct 29 02:13:53 UTC 2017

I too had been wondering why we had not heard from Joel lately.  Very sad.

GAT

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 6:51 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole <
adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for sharing this somber news. Joel helped me and numerous
> others on many occasions. For example, he located the details of a
> citation in the Boston Globe on microfilm for me. He provided valuable
> insights and ideas on this list and elsewhere as indicated in his
> death notices. Godspeed.
> Garson
>
> On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 2:52 PM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu>
> wrote:
> > I have some very sad news to report.  Joel Berson, a longtime active
> contributor to this listserv, has passed away.  Joel was an independent
> scholar whose curiosity and diligence enriched us here and undoubtedly made
> a positive impact on many others who knew him.  His discoveries advanced
> knowledge of the English language and knowledge of the 18th century, a
> period that was clearly of great interest to him.  Below is a link to an
> obituary.
> >

> > Fred Shapiro
> >

> > https://obittree.com/obituary/us/massachusetts/arlington/
> keefe-funeral-home---arlington/joel-s-berson/2961961/
> >
> > [https://obittree.com/include/storage/cache/bom/
> 8a7808d6032e55818a794a58fd52c22e.jpg]<https://obittree.com/
> obituary/us/massachusetts/arlington/keefe-funeral-home--
> -arlington/joel-s-berson/2961961/>
> >
> > Joel S. Berson Obituary - Arlington, MA | ObitTree™<https://obittree.
> com/obituary/us/massachusetts/arlington/keefe-funeral-home--
> -arlington/joel-s-berson/2961961/>
> > obittree.com
> > Joel S. Berson Obituary - A Memorial Service will be held at a later
> date.

George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.
Univ. Pr., 1998.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- also known as The Dunghill Toadstool.  (Here's a
picture of his great-grandfather.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851