[Ads-l] "receipts" = "proof"

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Tue Oct 31 03:19:24 UTC 2017

I recently became aware of the word "receipts" to mean "proof", not
necessarily proof involving receipts. My son was imagining proving to
someone that his story about a peer of his was true by showing them some
screen caps of text exchanges. He said, "I'd be like, 'Take a look at
these receipts!'" I didn't know that the apps he used for communicating
showed read-receipts, and even if they did, why would someone need proof
that this person read HIS messages instead of proof of the messages THEY
sent to HIM? He explained this more general meaning.

A couple of days ago, I saw this thread of tweets, in which "receipts"
is used this way, and also is called out:
https://twitter.com/bluelighttv/status/924091177724387329

The top definition on Urban Dictionary is from 2016, and matches my
son's usage precisely:
receipts <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=receipts>
Evidence or proof
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=proof>. Often in the
form <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=form> of
screenshots or saved
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=saved> snaps.
Emma: Bitch where the fuck did she say she was going
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=going>
Sophie <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sophie>: Pull up
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pull%20up> them receipts
by PhoodoVoodoVaVaVoom
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=PhoodoVoodoVaVaVoom>
November 21, 2016

The second-most popular is the earliest UD definition, which despite
being incredibly ineptly written, offers a possible origin story to
follow up:
receipts <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=receipts>
1. To disbelive something
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=something> so much that
some kind of hard evidence is required.
2. To be so frustrated by a social situation that you wish there was
some kind of red tape to guide it with.
Origin- Whitney
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Whitney> Houston's
Diane Sawyer interview, where Whitney requests Diane provide reciepts
for her allegation of over $100
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=100>,000 Crack Cocaine
purchases.
1a. "Miss Whitney does not do crack
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crack>, o.k.! Crack
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Crack> is for poor
people! I want you to show me the receipts
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=receipts> Diane, Show
Me The Receipts
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Receipts>!"
1b. Carl,"I met Johnny Depp last night at the Green Mill and we sat up
drinking and screwing hookers till dawn!"
Tad, "Receipts Carl, receipts."
2. Wancy, "They're waiting for us down at Friends
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Friends>, we've got to
leave now. Guy's, Guy's, is anyone listening to me? We have to go or
they'll all be drunk as shit when we get there... (muttering dejectedly)
receipts..."
by Krazy-K <https://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=Krazy-K>
September 07, 2005

The fourth most-popular one seems to be a reaction against this extended
use of "receipts":
receipt <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=receipt>
A piece <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=A%20piece> of
paper <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=paper> you get to
prove your purchase
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=purchase>.
i bought <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bought> shoes
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shoes> and got
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=got> a receipt from the
cashier.
#buy <https://www.urbandictionary.com/tags.php?tag=buy>#recipt
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/tags.php?tag=recipt>#purchase
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/tags.php?tag=purchase>#sell
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/tags.php?tag=sell>#aquire
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/tags.php?tag=aquire>
by Meni <https://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=Meni> October
23, 2006

The Diane Sawyer interview seems to have happened in 2002. Here's a
YouTube clip uploaded in 2009:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdyaLWMt6qA

Houston actually does say, "I want to see the receipts from whoever I
bought the drugs from." On the one hand, she seems to be referring to
actual receipts. On the other hand, I wasn't aware that drug dealers
wrote receipts.

You can also find animated GIFs of this clip.

Neal