[Ads-l] Metaphorical NSFW

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 5 01:51:36 UTC 2017

Reminds me of the old jazz instrumental, “Filthy McNasty.”

Metronome - Volume 78 - Page 80
https://books.google.com/books?id=DMcSAAAAIAAJ
1961 - ‎Snippet view
Doin’ The Thing: The Horace Silver Quintet at the Village Gate (Blue Note
BLP 4076): Silver, piano; Blue Mitchell, trumpet; Junior Cook, tenor sax;
Gene Taylor, bass; Roy Brooks, drums: _Filthy McNasty_; Doin’ The Thing;
Kiss Me Right; The Gringo; The Theme: Cool Eyes

OT: For some reason, to _do the thing_ means to “get married.” The
semantics have eluded me for the past seventy years.

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 12:13 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> > On Aug 31, 2017, at 11:04 AM, Jim Parish <jparish at SIUE.EDU> wrote:
> >
> > I would guess that usage is related to the word "filthy", describing a
> skilled pitcher's repertoire.
> >
> > Jim Parish
>
> That’s certainly the semantic route involved.  I wonder if the writer was
> consciously thinking of that use of “filthy” in extending NSFW or if it was
> a more generalized extension.
>
> LH
> >

> > On 8/31/2017 9:59 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:
> >> As I just confirmed on urbandictionary, the initialism (at least I’ve
> never heard it pronounced acronymically) NSFW is standardly understood as
> designating “Not Safe for Work”, “Not Suitable for Work”, or (presumably by
> urbandyslexics) “Not For Showing Wife”, in reference to internet videos,
> pix, memes, and the like.  But consider this extended use, which I’ve never
> previously encountered or seen exemplified even on urban dictionary, in
> reference to a Cleveland Indians pitcher:
> >>
> >> ===================
> >> Jose Berrios dominates. There are times when Berrios' stuff is NSFW.
> This was one of those games, maybe the best of his young career, as he
> fanned 11 in seven scoreless innings in a 11-1 win over the Chicago White
> Sox.
> >>
> >> http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/82321/
> real-or-not-indians-are-the-team-to-beat-in-the-american-league
> >>
> >> LH

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain