[Ads-l] Alfred Hitchcock Quotation

Fri Sep 8 21:17:03 UTC 2017

A 2014 collection of writings and interviews by Hitchcock points to
(and reprints) a pertinent 1966 interview in a periodical called "Take
One".

Hitchcock on Hitchcock, Volume 2: Selected Writings and Interviews
(2014) (Google Books Preview)

[Begin excerpt with interview citation]
HITCH: I WISH I DIDN'T HAVE TO SHOOT THE PICTURE
Interview with Budge Crawley, Fletcher Markle, and Gerald Pratley

"Hitch: I Wish I Didn't Have to Shoot the Picture" was originally
published in Take One 1, no. 1 (September/October 1966): 14-17.
[End excerpt with interview citation]

[Begin excerpt]
In the film, you ask the audience to stay in one seat for two hours.
Therefore, you need a shape of the story that has a rising curve of
interest. You know, Bernard Shaw once tried to figure out how long an
act of a play would be based on the endurance of the human bladder.
And that is our fundamental problem when we devise a film. We do ask a
person to sit there for two hours and therefore the shape and
story—shape comes into it considerably because, as you get toward the
end when they, your audience, might begin to be—shall we
say—physically distracted, you must increase the interest on the
screen to take their minds off this kind of thing.
[End excerpt]

Garson