[Ads-l] choke up =? emotional

Margaret Winters mewinters at WAYNE.EDU
Sun Sep 10 15:56:09 EDT 2017


Or we  shall be ferklempt...


----------------------------
MARGARET E WINTERS
Former Provost
Professor Emerita - French and Linguistics
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI  48202

mewinters at wayne.edu



________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2017 12:11 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: choke up =? emotional

> On Sep 10, 2017, at 10:48 AM, Margaret Winters <mewinters at WAYNE.EDU> wrote:
>
> overcome?

As in the traditional civil rights anthem, a.k.a. “We Shall Choke Up"
>
>
> ----------------------------
> MARGARET E WINTERS
> Former Provost
> Professor Emerita - French and Linguistics
> Wayne State University
> Detroit, MI  48202
>
> mewinters at wayne.edu
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM>
> Sent: Saturday, September 9, 2017 6:15 PM
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
> Subject: Re: choke up =? emotional
>
> On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Barretts Mail wrote:
>>
>>
>> Is there an English adjective other than “emotional” to describe the
>> emotion when you are overwhelmed by, err, emotion?
>
>
> Verklempt?
>
> --bgz
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
American Dialect Society<http://www.americandialect.org/>
www.americandialect.org
The American Dialect Society, founded in 1889, is dedicated to the study of the English language in North America, and of other languages, or dialects of other ...


> American Dialect Society<http://www.americandialect.org/>
American Dialect Society<http://www.americandialect.org/>
www.americandialect.org
The American Dialect Society, founded in 1889, is dedicated to the study of the English language in North America, and of other languages, or dialects of other ...


> www.americandialect.org<http://www.americandialect.org>
American Dialect Society<http://www.americandialect.org/>
www.americandialect.org
The American Dialect Society, founded in 1889, is dedicated to the study of the English language in North America, and of other languages, or dialects of other ...


> The American Dialect Society, founded in 1889, is dedicated to the study of the English language in North America, and of other languages, or dialects of other ...
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
American Dialect Society<http://www.americandialect.org/>
www.americandialect.org
The American Dialect Society, founded in 1889, is dedicated to the study of the English language in North America, and of other languages, or dialects of other ...



------------------------------------------------------------
The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
American Dialect Society<http://www.americandialect.org/>
www.americandialect.org
The American Dialect Society, founded in 1889, is dedicated to the study of the English language in North America, and of other languages, or dialects of other ...



------------------------------------------------------------
The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org


More information about the Ads-l mailing list