[Ads-l] (like) a boss

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 11 06:44:24 UTC 2017

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 12:27 AM, Barretts Mail wrote:

> https://twitter.com/c4chaos/status/906920301685989376
>
>> wtf is happening with #Verge $XVG? mooning LIKE A BOSS in a bloody market!

[...]

> Full disclosure: I spent almost no time on this email. I did not check the
> ADS archives or go through all of the Urban Dictionary entries.

A moment's Googling would reveal the source of "like a boss" as a popular
phrase -- the 2009 song of that name by the comedy troupe Lonely Island.
The song was featured in a Saturday Night Live digital short, with Andy
Samberg (who's in Lonely Island) and Seth Rogen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NisCkxU544c
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Like_a_Boss
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/like-a-boss

--bgz