[Ads-l] FOMO-buy, FUD-sell, weak hand, strong hand, to shake out (crypto)

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 17 04:21:29 UTC 2017

Here is a short list of terms with examples from crypto Twitter, the vaguely defined subset of tweets concerning cryptocurrency.

These keep piling up and as I just want to get them out of mind, I have not spent much time examining them, looking for first instances or searching for them in references.

======

The Oxford Living Dictionaries have “to panic-buy” (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/panic-buy <https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/panic-buy>) and “to panic sell” (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/panic_sell <https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/panic_sell>), first one hyphenated, second one not.

The OLD also have “FOMO”, "Anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere, often aroused by posts seen on social media.” This also occurs in crypto trading when you see a green dildo (sudden upward spike) or lots of good news about a coin.

To buy under FOMO is to “FOMO-buy”.

1. https://www.reddit.com/r/omise_go/comments/6t0xri/here_it_goes_again/ <https://www.reddit.com/r/omise_go/comments/6t0xri/here_it_goes_again/>
SrirachaPeass

damn it! i just FOMO bought in. i should've bought in yesterday ): i thought it was gonna go little bit lower.

2. https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/5ym5si/fomo/ <https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/5ym5si/fomo/>
sgbett

I might be doing it wrong, but I just FOMO bought the rumour. I couldn't help it. What if this is it!?!?!?111one

3. https://www.reddit.com/r/omise_go/comments/6u1klx/me_right_now_watching_omg/ <https://www.reddit.com/r/omise_go/comments/6u1klx/me_right_now_watching_omg/>
tgwttihs

I fomo bought 10 mins ago and its going down now…

======

The OLD also have “FUD” (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/fud <https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/fud>), "Fear, uncertainty and doubt, usually evoked intentionally in order to put a competitor at a disadvantage.” In crypto, there may be bad rumors about a coin/market conditions or irregular movement on a coin’s charts that make traders feel uneasy, which is FUD.

To sell under the influence of FUD is to “FUD-sell”.

1. https://steemit.com/crypto/@razvanelulmarin/fear-and-uncertainty-in-crypto <https://steemit.com/crypto/@razvanelulmarin/fear-and-uncertainty-in-crypto>
meesterboom

Most coins I have FUD sold in the past have bounced back. It's always worth that deep breath!!!

2. https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6eiab9/sell_or_hold_before_forksegwit_for_people_who/ <https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6eiab9/sell_or_hold_before_forksegwit_for_people_who/>
beantheredone

Always Hodl. If not you'll be one of the scores of people lamenting when they panic-sold or FUD-sold. If there is a dip, buy more.

3. http://veekyforums.com/thread/2692306/business/ltc-mooning.html <http://veekyforums.com/thread/2692306/business/ltc-mooning.html>
Gigastrength

LOL @ all the weak hands that FUD sold

======

weak hand = the lack of resolve to hodl (hold) a coin when the price goes down

c.f.: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/weak <https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/weak> "Lacking the force of character to hold to one's own decisions, beliefs, or principles; irresolute"
Also: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/w/weakhands.asp <http://www.investopedia.com/terms/w/weakhands.asp> "Retail traders in the forex market who abide by the conventional wisdom that when a pattern is broken, get out."

Read more: Weak Hands http://www.investopedia.com/terms/w/weakhands.asp#ixzz4suDCqI00
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

1. https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6sbu8g/when_my_weak_hand_tries_to_sell_but_i_know_i/ <https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6o1gb5/weak_hand_today/>
stevev916

When my weak hand tries to sell, but I know I should hodl.

2. https://steemit.com/bitcoin/@investing/dan-bilzerian-buys-bitcoin-don-t-be-a-weak-hand-and-sell <https://steemit.com/bitcoin/@investing/dan-bilzerian-buys-bitcoin-don-t-be-a-weak-hand-and-sell>
investing

"Dan Bilzerian Buys Bitcoin. Don't be a Weak Hand and Sell”

======

strong hand = the resolve to hodl when the price of a coin goes down
c.f.: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/strong_hand: <https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/strong_hand:> "firm and decisive action”
Also: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/stronghands.asp <http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/stronghands.asp> "A futures-contract holder that is a well-financed speculator."

1. https://steemit.com/bitcoin/@bitcoinmeister/bitcoin-segwit-to-activate-strong-hand-holding-pays-off-and-is-easy-ethereum-issues <https://steemit.com/bitcoin/@bitcoinmeister/bitcoin-segwit-to-activate-strong-hand-holding-pays-off-and-is-easy-ethereum-issues>
bitcoinmeister

"Bitcoin Segwit to activate! Strong hand holding pays off & is easy!"

2. https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6zxvs7/heres_to_the_strong_hands/ <https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6zxvs7/heres_to_the_strong_hands/>
Anen-o-me

“Here’s to the Strong Hands”

3. https://twitter.com/RichardHeartWin/status/903569298102390784 <https://twitter.com/RichardHeartWin/status/903569298102390784>
@RichardHearthWin

This is for all the #Bitcoin heroes. The strong hands. The ones you can't shake out! Hodl 4 life.

======

"To shake out" means to cause weak hands to sell, such as happens when the price of a coin drops. “Get shaken out” is probably far more common.

As is probably expected, the shake-shook-shaken paradigm is shaky, with “shook” often acting as the pp. Although writers are not necessarily native English speakers, I would expect them to have a higher adherence rate than native English speakers, but that is simply a personal guess.

OLD: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/shakeout <https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/shakeout> "An upheaval or reorganization of a business, market, or organization due to competition and typically involving streamlining and layoffs.”
Also, http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/shakeout.asp?ad=dirN&qo=investopediaSiteSearch&qsrc=0&o=40186 <http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/shakeout.asp?ad=dirN&qo=investopediaSiteSearch&qsrc=0&o=40186> "A situation in which many investors exit their positions, often at a loss, because of uncertainty or recent bad news circulating around a particular security or industry."

1. https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/61f0bq/thats_it_im_out/ <https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/61f0bq/thats_it_im_out/>
bitcoin1989

Everytime there's a correction the weak hands gets shaken out, but not all the new investors get shaken out and the old investors take the opportunity to buy...which is why the trend is upwards.

2. https://steemit.com/bitcoin/@hilarski/the-crypto-currency-roller-coaster-is-not-for-the-faint-of-heart <https://steemit.com/bitcoin/@hilarski/the-crypto-currency-roller-coaster-is-not-for-the-faint-of-heart>
scandinavianlife

Weak hands holding too much of their measly savings in the crypto space got shaken out.

3. https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/duplicates/6x2lyh/you_are_the_product/ <https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/duplicates/6x2lyh/you_are_the_product/>
sha777888

We have a network which at this point should have shook out almost every weak hand.

4. https://steemit.com/bitcoin/@longstocksilver/what-i-ve-learned-trading-alt-coins-when-bitcoin-and-ethereum-are-climbing <https://steemit.com/bitcoin/@longstocksilver/what-i-ve-learned-trading-alt-coins-when-bitcoin-and-ethereum-are-climbing>
longstocksilver

It's definitely tough not to get shook out.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA