[Ads-l] "GOP lurches _FARTHER_ to the right!"

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 30 22:23:27 UTC 2017

I’ve never been cognizant of the difference and have decided it’s not worth worrying about.

Here’s what Wiktionary (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/farther) says:

—
Some usage guides distinguish farther and further, with farther referring to distance, and further referring to degree or time.[2] Others, such as the OED, recommend farther as a comparative form of far and further for use when it is not comparative.[3]

However, most authorities consider the two interchangeable in most or all circumstances,[4] and historically they have not been distinguished.[1][2]
—

Even if you want to use modern rules such as the first set, which should you use in the case of vowels? Are [e] and [o] farther (more distant) or further (more different in quality) than [e] and [i]? I guess you could exploit the first arcane differentiation between farther and further, with the result that pretty much nobody would get the distinction.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA