[Ads-l] gobsmacked antedatings?

Wed Apr 11 19:42:17 UTC 2018

Excellent finds, Stephen. The two earliest instances of "gobsmacked"
you found are genuine. See the article titles for information about
the context.

Date: March 25, 1925
Newspaper: The Skegness Standard
County: Lincolnshire, England
Article: THINGS WE WANT TO KNOW
Quote Page 2, Column 7
Database: britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

[Begin excerpt – double check for errors]
What the "deah boy" and the "comrides" were thinking about to get into
the unhitched coach on the 8.30 train the other night?

And if they didn't feel a bit 'gobsmacked' when the discovery was made
that the rest of the train had gone without them?

And whether the ticket-collector has stopped laughing yet?
[End excerpt]