[Ads-l] "wop" = "without papers/passport" (1971)

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 23 17:50:37 UTC 2018

The "wop" from "guappo" theory was voiced as early as 1910, nearly contemporaneous with its entry into the language, with no mention of the "without papers" theory.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch, May 29, 1910, Sunday Magazine, page 4.

[Excerpt]
Besides these official dignitaries of the Camorra there exist certain persons who, without having any rank, without even belonging to the Camorra, properly speaking, enjoy great influence among the Camorristi and are looked upon as  a sort of independent aristocracy allied to the Honored Society.  These are called guappi.

This word - which is the original of the American slang word "wop" applied derisively to Italians - is derived in reality from a Spanish word which has a flattering sense, which means "chic," "elegant," "attractive."  This word was carried to Naples by the Spanish conquerors, and serves to designate men who are at once fastidious in their dress, brilliant in their bearing and of ostentatious gallantry.  In Naples a man is not called a "wop" until he has given unquestionable proof of his courage.
[End Excerpt]

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2018 9:02 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "wop" = "without papers/passport" (1971)

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM>

Since the "without papers" folk etymology has been repeated lately by both
Andrew Cuomo and Nancy Pelosi, I wrote a debunkage for the Atlantic (citing
Douglas Wilson's research and tipping my hat once again to Larry Horn for
his coinage of "etymythology"):

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/04/wop-
doesnt-mean-what-andrew-cuomo-thinks-it-means/558659/