[Ads-l] Brandish [?]

Wed Apr 25 20:59:55 UTC 2018

“But this is not where you brandish a group of people because they own
assets in a sport we love, supporting what many of us perceive as, you
know, one disastrous presidency. Don’t quote me.”

— Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie

​From an article that presumably will appear in tomorrow's (Thursday)
NYTimes.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/sports/trump-nfl.html

Is this a blend, such as is beloved by some of us, of "brand" and
"tarnish"?  If so, pretty danged creative of him. ​Or is this a sense of
"brandish" familiar to young modern like Lurie, but not to old codgers like
me?
Also, to make sense of this statement, shouldn't we edit it to read
"brandish a group . . . as supporting . . . one disastrous presidency".
Unless we think that Lurie was saying "wave about a group . . . supporting
. . . one disastrous presidency".

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- also known as The Dunghill Toadstool.  (Here's a
picture of his great-grandfather.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851