[Ads-l] dough boys 1823, 1826

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Sun Apr 29 09:11:02 UTC 2018

a) "....the eldest, was busily engaged at the table, cutting out dough boys and girls, and birds and horses to fill up the long row of [Christmas?] stockings...." [like gingerbread men?]

Dutchess Observer (Poughkeepsie, NY) Dec. 10, 1823, p. 4, col. 1. Readex Am. Hist. News.

b) "Well, howsomever, to shorten the matter: as I comes up, as down in the mouth as a midshipman's dough boy, I was clapt into limbo...." [a marine being seen by sailors as useless aboard ship as a humanoid cookie?]

Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine 19 (1826) Naval Sketch-Book p. 365b.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=njp.32101076889615;view=1up;seq=399

Stephen Goranson

Origin of Kibosh (Routledge)

http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/