[Ads-l] Heard: dialogue

Arnold M. Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Mon Apr 30 11:38:02 UTC 2018

> On Apr 29, 2018, at 10:20 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> X. Blah, blah, blah...
>
> A. Shut up! This is between *grandpa* and me!
>
> B. "Between grandpa and _I_!" If you're going to talk, at least use proper
> grammar!
>

> As far as I could tell, this "correction" was meant to be understood as
> serious.
>
> Sigh!

5/4/12 Idiolect or style level?

https://arnoldzwicky.org/2012/05/04/idiolect-or-style-level/

I do ... know where my judgment that many speakers see the nominative of ordinary personal pronouns as formal, serious, or emphatic comes from: some speakers have said as much to me, and here’s a quote from a Prairie Home Companion comedy skit (from September 2004) that presupposes this belief about NomConjObjs (nominative conjoined objects):

  These are the good days for Jim and me — or Jim and I, as I used to say when I went to college.

arnold