[Ads-l] annals of acronymic etymythology

David Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Thu Aug 2 19:06:15 UTC 2018

Oh, yes. That's just the first question. The rest of the class period consists of using exercises in using online dictionaries for the stuff that Google doesn't tell you.

Also, in every class there are number who have never checked a book out of a library and don't know how to use call numbers to find books on the shelves. Some don't even know you can check books out of the library. So in our library sessions, that's always part of the activity.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Laurence Horn
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2018 12:07 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] annals of acronymic etymythology

> On Aug 2, 2018, at 12:44 PM, David Wilton <dave at WILTON.NET> wrote:
>
> Unscientific data point:
>
> When I discuss dictionaries with my students (mostly first or
> second-year university students), I always ask what dictionary they
> use. The answer, almost universal, is "Google." Most are unaware that
> online dictionaries exist.
>
> At most, there are only one or two say "Merriam-Webster" or "the OED"
> (by which they mean oxforddictionaries.com).

I found it helped to assign many problem sets requiring them to use the online OED (accessible to them here) and/or AHD.  There were other more flexible assignments (collecting entries for their NEWJ—New English Word Journal) for which other sources were permitted.  And some exercises—etymology vs. etymythology detective work—required them to check unsubstantiated sources as well.  Google was very helpful there.

LH

---