[Ads-l] Re. 21st-Century Advertising Slogans

GEOFFREY NUNBERG nunbergg at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 7 04:34:56 UTC 2018

It seems to me that however famous a slogan may be in connection with a particular source, it can’t really be said to have “entered the language” until it has been imported into everyday speech in non-advertising contexts, or at least outlives the campaign that introduced it. (Cf. classic slogans like  “Does she or doesn’t she?,”  “Where’s the beef?” and “We try harder.”)* That is, the slogan's continuing life-force ought to come from popular usage rather than simply energetic promotion.  By that criterion, slogans like “There’s an app for that,” “Can you hear me now?” and “What happens here stays here” might qualify, but not, say, “More saving, more doing,” “Eat Fresh” or “That was easy.”

Geoff

*Even then, most of these have a short half-life, like the catchphrases from TV sitcoms. I was asked to a short piece last spring on political slogans for UC's California Magazine and by way of comparison, wrote "When advertisers hear people ringing changes on slogans like 'Just do it' or 'We try harder,' they know they’ve got a hit.” The editor wrote back that he was okay with “just do it,” but that none of the staff was famililar with “We try harder.” Just as well I didn’t offer “When better cars are built…."