[Ads-l] the Big Apple again

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Thu Aug 9 02:02:13 UTC 2018

For research into the origin of "The Big Apple" might I

draw attention to _Origin of New York City's Nickname

"The Big Apple"_, (co-authored by Gerald Leonard Cohen

and Barry A. Popik) 2nd, revised and expanded edition,

Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang Verlag, 2011.

     This second edition contains the very valuable (actually

extraordinary) research of attorney/independent scholar

Barry Popik. And although OED3 mentions my 1991 book (for

which I am very grateful), might I suggest that mention of it

be replaced by the 2nd (2011) edition.

     Popik and I each worked on "The Big Apple" for some 21

years, and we incorporated (with due credit) the valuable input

we received in the process, especially from ads-l members.

George Thompson writes with appropriate skepticism: "I don't

know that she  [OED etymology editor] is the source of the information

given. I have never heard of "Big Apple" as a 19th century betting term --

certainly never encountered it while reading 19th C newspapers."

Neither have I and neither has Popik.

     Incidentally, chapter 7 of Popik & Cohen 2011 is titled "'Big Apple'

Incorrect Etymologies" and discusses eight such items.  With the

powerhouses of OED and The New York Times teaming up to

advance (however tentatively) a new etymology, I see it will be

necessary to add a ninth incorrect etymology to the list.

     Chapter 4 of Popik & Cohen 2011 is titled "Apples Regarded As

Very Special," with the first paragraph providing a nice overview of

how "the big apple" got its figurative start (big red delicious apple

becomes "big shot" and "the big time.").  I'll present that paragraph

in a separate e-mail tomorrow.

   Might I also suggest: If any dictionary editors would like to treat any

etymological items I've worked on and would welcome input,

please feel free to contact me.

With best wishes.

Gerald Cohen

Research specialty: etymology