[Ads-l] Capitalizing in the middle of a trade name--trying again

Geoffrey Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Mon Aug 13 12:47:46 EDT 2018


I knew that, but the SeaMaster<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_P6M_SeaMaster#/media/File:Martin_P6M_Seamaster_in_flight_c1955.jpg> was such a cool plane that I wanted to post a picture of it. Alas, the listserv wouldn’t let me.

(trying one more time with fancy linky stuff).



Geoff



Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer (Retired)
Emeritus Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
geoffnathan at wayne.edu



________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2018 12:44:25 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Capitalizing in the middle of a trade name--trying again

---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------------
Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Capitalizing in the middle of a trade name--trying again
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought it was pretty clear, even to the comedians, that I was
referring to the noun blend with an interior capital and the noun
blend without the interior capital.
DanG


On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 12:31 PM, Geoffrey Nathan <geoffnathan at wayne.edu> w=
rote:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_P6M_SeaMaster#/media/File:Martin_P6M=
_Seamaster_in_flight_c1955.jpg
>
> vs
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Roadmaster#/media/File:1936BuickSedan=
.jpg
>
>
> (not sure why the listserv software insists on breaking URL's with an equ=
al sign, but I'm now trying using 'plain text'. As we have noted on occasio=
n, the listserv software mungs some people's email by inserting control cha=
racters, while others are left unadorned.)
>
> Geoff
>
>
>
>
>  Geoffrey S. Nathan
>  WSU Information Privacy Officer (Retired)
>  Emeritus Professor, Linguistics Program
>  http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
>
>  geoffnathan at wayne.edu
>
>  Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it=
 to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email  looks.
>
>
>
>
>
> From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Dan =
Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM>
> Sent: Monday, August 13, 2018 12:08 PM
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
> Subject: Re: Capitalizing in the middle of a trade name
>
>
> ---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------=
------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Capitalizing in the middle of a trade name
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------=
------
>
> How does this allow one to differentiate a Buick Roadmaster from the Mart=
in
> SeaMaster?
>
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2018, 10:47 AM Margaret Winters <mewinters at wayne.edu> wro=
te:
>
>> I wonder if a better description (rather than stating that the middle of=
 a
>> trade name is capitalized) is to say that the space between two words ha=
s
>> been omitted in this sort of trade name.  The capital would then be
>> explained by the fact that the single word was once (or similar items we=
re
>> once) a compound with all members capitalized as are titles.
>>
>>
>> best to all,
>>
>> Margaret
>>
>>
>> ----------------------------
>> MARGARET E WINTERS
>> Former Provost
>> Professor Emerita - French and Linguistics
>> Wayne State University
>> Detroit, MI  48202
>>
>> mewinters at wayne.edu
>>
>>
>>
>> ________________________________
>> From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Dan
>> Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM>
>> Sent: Monday, August 13, 2018 10:39 AM
>> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>> Subject: Re: Capitalizing in the middle of a trade name
>>
>> What about the 1927 Buick LaSalle?
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 13, 2018, 10:32 AM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > This practice has been pretty common for years (so common, I can't thi=
nk
>> of
>> > an example), but I was shocked (anglice, mildly surprised) to find thi=
s
>> ex.
>> > from 1955. (I've been familiar with the product almost as long, but ne=
ver
>> > thought the one-word name was capitalized in the middle).
>> >
>> > 1955 _Newsweek_ [Google Books]: The tanks have also checked out countl=
ess
>> > ideas for seaplanes, notably the Martin SeaMaster, the 600-mile-an-hou=
r
>> > multijet bomber which the Navy has just partially revealed as a
>> > revolutionary contender to land-based jets.
>> >
>> > Like the spelling ,the SeaMaster was one of the most futuristic-lookin=
g
>> > items of the '50s.
>> >
>> > JL
>> >
>> > --
>> > "If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the
>> truth."
>> >
>> > ------------------------------------------------------------
>> > The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
>> [https://s0.wp.com/i/blank.jpg]<http://www.americandialect.org/>
>>
>> American Dialect Society<http://www.americandialect.org/>
>> www.americandialect.org<http://www.americandialect.org>
>> Devoted to the study of English around the world.
>>
>>
>> >
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------
>> The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------
>> The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
>>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

------------------------------------------------------------
The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

------------------------------------------------------------
The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org


More information about the Ads-l mailing list