[Ads-l] Katy Bar and her kitty corner

Sat Aug 18 10:16:50 UTC 2018

Background: Back in 2016 Bonnie shared citations for "Katie, Bar The
Door" beginning with October 2, 1872. List members Garson O'Toole,
Peter Morris, Peter Reitan, and Laurence Horn replied.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2016-February/140769.html

Michael Quinion wrote an analysis that was informed by the results
posted to the ADS list: Katy bar the door
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-kat1.htm

Here is a citation for "Kitty bar the door!" in 1874.

Date: October 10, 1874
Newspaper: The Weekly Louisianian
Newspaper Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
Article: The Sixth Ward Radical Republican Central Club
Quote Page 2, Column 5
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
I take it every citizen has registered. If they have not they should
at once do so. They must not be in the condition of him who cried:
"Kitty bar the door!" (Laughter.)
[End excerpt]

Garson