[Ads-l] QOTY nominee: "Truth isn't truth"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 19 19:53:38 UTC 2018

This one from Rudy Giuliani could be hard to beat for QOTY. Even in the
moment Chuck Todd recognizes its meme potential.

----
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/19/politics/rudy-giuliani-truth-isnt-truth/index.html

"When you tell me that, you know, he should testify because he's going to
tell the truth and he shouldn't worry, well, that's so silly because it's
somebody's version of the truth. Not the truth," Giuliani told NBC's Chuck
Todd on Sunday morning during "Meet the Press."

"Truth is truth," Todd said in response.

"No, no, it isn't truth," Giuliani said. "Truth isn't truth. The President
of the United States says, "I didn't ..."

"Truth isn't truth?" Todd interjected. "Mr. Mayor, do you realize, what ...
I think this is going to become a bad meme."

"No, no, no ... don't do this to me," Giuliani said.

"Don't do 'truth isn't truth' to me," Todd continues.
----

(I'm hoping Larry can explain this fascinating exercise in self-negation.)

--bgz