[Ads-l] Name for this? -- HSJSHSHSH, ASKSKSKAK

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 21 10:50:36 EDT 2018

The term I've seen for this is "keysmash."

"A close relative of 'I can't even' is the keysmash, a string of actual
gibberish -- asdf;lkl, maybe -- meant to signal that the typist has become
so excited that she has lost control of her fingers."

Dictionary.com dates it to the late '90s.


On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 8:51 AM, Bonnie Taylor-Blake <
b.taylorblake at gmail.com> wrote:

> No, those aren't typos in the subject line.
> They're, well, words of some sort sometimes used in texts, tweets, and
> elsewhere on social media to convey (extreme) feelings, such as being
> amazed, overwhelmed, excited, frustrated, angry, etc. The string of letters
> suggest *rushed* exclamations. The only convention is that they're all from
> the middle row of a QWERTY keyboard.
> Here are some examples, all taken from recent tweets (it's a little tough
> to search for this sort of thing since there are no standard forms):
> 1) "ok but is she still beefin with jimin HSJSHSHSH"
> 2) "so grimes and Elon musk unfollowed each other on ig and grimes still
> follows Azealia Banks kskdkdksksksk"
> I'm curious whether linguists/lexicographers have a name for this form of
> (written) language. An entry at knowyourmeme.com suggests kinship with the
> grawlix.
> More at https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/asdf

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list