[Ads-l] Lovely ambiguity on this afternoon's Google News feed

Arnold M. Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Tue Aug 21 20:32:59 UTC 2018

> On Aug 21, 2018, at 12:56 PM, Geoffrey Nathan <geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU> wrote:
>
> "Manafort jury suggests it ‘cannot come to a consensus on a single count’ "
>
> excellent ambiguity on what I vaguely recall (Arnold, help here?) is
> upward entailing vs. downward entailing readings. Or maybe it's just scope...

just scope for Neg + Quant:
  wider scope on Neg: it's not the case that there's (even) one count on which there's a consensus (there's disagreement on every single count)
  wider scope on Quant: there's (exactly) one count for which there's no consensus (and there's consensus on all the rest)

> To the extent I can follow other news stories, there is narrow scope
> on 'single'--i.e. there is consensus on all but one count.

arnold