[Ads-l] Monkey wrench was Re: "Monkey this up"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 31 13:52:23 UTC 2018

My blog post has some good wrench history.  The adjustable"screw wrench" was invented in England in the early 1800s.

There is an update within my post with British uses of "monkey wrench",by the 1820s".

Significant improvements in adjustable "screw wrenches", sometimes referred to as monkey wrenches, were made in Springfield, Mass in the 1830s.

Loring Coes moved to Springfield in the late-1830s and invented an improved, adjustable screw wrench in about 1840.

His design was stronger, easier to use, and kept the spacing well.  His design was wildly successful and displaced most of the other screw wrenches.

The name became mostly associated with his design.

The modern pipe-wrench is essentially a large version of Coes' 1840 wrench.  The crescent wrench has since displaced most of the smaller "monkey wrenches" of Coes' design.
________________________________
From: Amy West<mailto:medievalist at W-STS.COM>
Sent: ‎8/‎31/‎2018 4:51
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Monkey wrench was Re: "Monkey this up"

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Amy West <medievalist at W-STS.COM>

All this discussion of /monkey wrench/ as possibly connected to /monkey
[something] up /jogged my memory that Worcester, MA, lays claim not only
to the invention of the smiley face, but also the monkey wrench:

"The monkey wrench was invented by Loring Coes of the Coes Knife Company
in 1840."
--http://www.worcesterhistory.org/?s=monkey+wrench

I realize that we deal with lexical terms and not necessarily the
object, but have any monkey wrench researchers run across this claim
before and dealt with it?

---Amy West

(And the claim to the smiley face is also problematic, I understand . . . )