[Ads-l] Question on Pronunciation Peeving

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Sat Dec 8 19:15:45 UTC 2018

Is there a word for the discomfort that some people feel when hearing a pronunciation that they find unpleasant?  This is a question from my daughter and arose in the context of a discussion she had with her boyfriend on the correct pronunciation of "pecan" and "aluminum/aluminium."  Each found the other's pronunciation not just wrong, but unpleasant to hear. I suggested that the term they were looking for was "peeving," but that is a broader term mostly applied to usage rather than pronunciation.  They are looking for something that is specific to pronunciation.

John Baker