[Ads-l] Query: "take a knee"

Sat Dec 15 18:54:06 UTC 2018

Ben Zimmer discussed the phrase “take a knee” in the football domain here:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2017-September/149519.html

Bill Mullins found the expression "take a knee rest" employed by
hunters in the 1890s.
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2017-December/150419.html

Why this formulation? Here is a guess from a non-linguist. The term
“kneel” was blocked because it typically referred to kneeling on two
knees.

The existing expression “take a rest” was expanded to "take a knee
rest" by the 1890s (or earlier). Later it was clipped to yield "take a
knee".

Garson