[Ads-l] Query: "take a knee"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Dec 15 19:59:00 UTC 2018

As I think we’ve discussed, quarterbacks were described as taking a knee when their team is ahead at the end of the game and just waiting out the clock, or at the end of a half when there isn’t enough time to safely mount a drive.  No political motivation (or stand-taking) in these cases, but since the activity was described as taking a knee, it seems plausible that the socially motivated action by Colin Kaepernick and others that is structurally identical but functionally distinct would be described in the same way.  But I’m not sure why quarterbacks running out the clock with this action were originally described as *taking* a knee (although “kneeling” was also used).  I can’t remember if “Tebowing” (the one-knee-kneeling-in-prayer motion practiced by Tebow and other quarterbacks after scoring a touchdown) was also described as “taking a knee”, although I suspect so.

LH