[Ads-l] solstice

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 23 00:23:15 UTC 2018

Seems right, though I may have missed where you disagree:
"Since the *ecliptic* is tilted 23.5 degrees with respect to the *celestial
equator*, the Sun's *maximum* angular *distance from the celestial equator* is
23.5 degrees. This happens at the *solstices*."

http://w.astro.berkeley.edu/~basri/astro10-03/lectures/StarMotions.htm

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 5:37 PM Barretts Mail <mail.barretts at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It appears to me that Merriam-Webster has this defined incorrectly:
>
> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/solstice <
> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/solstice>
> either of the two points on the ecliptic at which its distance from the
> celestial equator is greatest and which is reached by the sun each year
> about June 21 and December 21
>
> Does anyone know enough astronomy to know for sure?
>
> Benjamin Barrett
> Formerly of Seattle, WA

Andy Bach
Afbach at gmail.com