[Ads-l] Miscellany

Sat Dec 29 09:15:48 UTC 2018

Excellent citations, Bill. They provide evidence for the metaphorical
use of (break, kicked, knocked) “through the roof” applied to the
voice.

[Begin excerpt of message sent from Bill Mullins]
_Variety_ 14 Oct 1911 p 20 col 4
"She is a principal, one of the three females in the lead, and the
only one who doesn't try to make her voice break through the roof."

_Variety_  4 Mar 1921 p 8 col 1
"Miss Barry has be reviewed in this department so often it need only
be added that she never misses and she has a sense of humor all her
own and more material that answers this description than most
vaudevillians.  She kicked it through the roof Monday afternoon for a
walloping wow."

_Variety_ 18 March 1921 p 16 col 2
"They sat down and knocked 'Home Again Blues' through the roof, both
reaching marvelous climaxes in this number."
[Begin excerpt of message sent from Bill Mullins]