[Ads-l] antedating "wilco"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 11 14:00:40 UTC 2018

OED: 1946

1941 _Sunday Oregonian_ (Portland) (Dec. 7) 90 [ReadEx]:
The Tower answers, "Tower to four-seven-two. Land in the east. Wheels down
and locked. Go ahead." I say, "Four-seven-two, wilco."

Earlier, "Tower to four-seven-two. You may take off, Roger."

The writer is an air cadet at Randolph Field, but this use of "Roger" (no,
not his name) seems wrong or archaic (i.e., new to me).

It should be "Out." Or perhaps "Over." Shouldn't it?

JL