[Ads-l] newly "offensive" term

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 13 18:52:31 UTC 2018

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/01/12/sen_durbin_chain_migration_is_offensive_to_those_whose_ancestors_came_to_us_in_chains.html

[Sen.] Durbin continued: "When it came to the issue of, quote, 'chain
migration,' I said to the president, do you realize how painful that term
is to so many people? African-Americans believe they migrated to America in
chains and when you talk about chain migration, it hurts them personally.
He said, 'Oh, that’s a good line.'

On CNN, Sen. Menendez has just forcefully called the phrase "obscene," for
much the same reason.

Since I now realize that "chain store" must really mean "a slave-dealing
establishment," I am dropping it from my idiolect.

JL