[Ads-l] OED lacuna: "Kinsey scale"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 14 18:32:25 UTC 2018

> On Feb 14, 2018, at 1:27 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> "Kinsey's scale" is a likely precursor to "Kinsey scale". I searched
> for "Kinsey's scale" in the HathiTrust database and found the
> following match in a book with a 1952 date. However, the book was
> published in multiple editions with different dates, so the 1952 date
> might be incorrect. Hardcopy verification is required.

Seems plausible.  I’m sure you’re right about the chronology; it was probably “Richter’s scale” > “(the) Richter scale” too.  I see Yale has a 1949 copy of the Salter book, so I can probably track that down.  Although who knows, “the Creative Age Press” might not be entirely reliable with their publication dates…

LH