[Ads-l] newly "offensive" term

imwitty imwitty at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 15 01:39:41 UTC 2018

This story – and many others during the last decade – are in the category
of the cooked up charges against anybody, who says anything that somebody
doesn’t like. It is just another example of the sophistry. Dave Hause in
this thread defined the situation precisely: '... there are people who make
a frequent search for something new to be offended by'.

This reminds me an old joke:

John and Mary are discussing something.

John very politely says: ‘Honey, I believe you are mistaking.’

Mary replies: ‘What?! So you say that I lie, that I bark, that I am a dog?!
… Mom!!! He just called me ‘b**ch’!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!’

BTW, I found on the Internet the idea how to avoid the asterisks in another
popular word, its derivatives and related expressions: Instead of ‘sh*t’,
you may use a perfectly legal and not capitalized surname ‘schiff’ (to not
offend Rep. Adam Schiff from California (;’-))) This is especially
convenient for those who use smartphones… (;’-)))

L.
Please reply to imwitty at gmail.com
Whatever you do or wish for me,
may you have twice as much.
This e-mail is a natural product. The slight
variations in spelling and grammar enhance
its individual character and beauty and in no
way are to be considered flaws or defects.

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 4:41 PM, Peter Reitan <pjreitan at hotmail.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Peter Reitan <pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: newly "offensive" term
> -------------------
>
> My point was to express surprise at how obvious you found the sinister
> conn=
> otation and evil rhetorical intent was.  It seemed very non-obvious to me.
>

> I am also surprised at your suggestion that it "couldn't possibly" have
> the=
>  literal meaning I generally understand it to have, despite your apparent
> o=
> penness to the possibility that it might have that meaning "on some
> literal=
>  level."
>

> I generally have understood in in the more literal way, chain reaction
> sens=
> e, as it has been used and understood for at least fifty years.  But of
> cou=
> rse the word is relatively new to me, so I just understood it the way it
> so=
> unded and was described.  I didn't think to consult my 10th grade Nazi
> prop=
> oganda textbook - until, that is, I read other articles explaining the
> "rea=
> l", non-obvious meaning to me.  But before the new meaning was revealed to
> =
> me a few weeks ago, I generally understood it in line with its
> non-controve=
> rsial use over the past several decades, to describe chain reaction in
> immi=
> gration where one migration leads to another and then another like links
> in=
>  a chain.
>

> In the 1950s, "chain migration" was used to describe white families moving
> =
> into the Northern suburbs of Chicago in the face of black families moving
> i=
> nto the southeastern portion of North Chicago:
>

> Chicago Tribune, April 24, 1955, page E 6. "A chain migration - from the
> Lo=
> op northward - is taking place on the north side and into the north
> suburbs=
> , accelerating the suburban growth, the survey indicates.  As minority
> grou=
> ps push northward into the southeastern part of the north area - . . . the
> =
> middle income families in this area are moving north and northwestward,
> rep=
> lacing larger income families who resided on the northern outskirts of the
> =
> city."
>
> [END]
>

> In 1963, Charles Price used the term in a book about the patterns of
> Southe=
> [...]
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>