[Ads-l] Request details of citation in Boston Daily Journal in 1865

Thu Feb 15 03:06:10 UTC 2018

Back in August 2017 I requested aid to access a Boston newspaper
citation in 1865 and received some helpful responses. Ultimately, I
made a research request to the staff of the Boston Public Library, and
they performed admirably. Here is a link to the Quote Investigator
article followed by a copy of the lengthy acknowledgment.

Let Them Know the Truth, and the Country Is Safe
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2018/02/14/truth-safe/

[Begin acknowledgment]
Great thanks to Terry Teachout of “The Wall Street Journal” whose
inquiry led QI to formulate this question and perform this
exploration.

Special thanks to the research staff at the Boston Public Library
(BPL) who sent to QI scans for the "Boston Morning Journal" citation
dated April 17, 1865. When QI first contacted BPL he had a citation
containing an acknowledgement using the ambiguous designation "Boston
Journal", and BPL determined that the correct newspaper was the
"Boston Morning Journal".

Additional thanks to twitter discussants Yoni Appelbaum, Ben Domenech,
and Seth Gitell. After QI tweeted an image of a newspaper clipping
from April 21, 1865, Appelbaum tweeted an image of a crucial newspaper
clipping from April 17, 1865. Appelbaum also identified the
interesting James E. Murdoch citation.

Further thanks for the efforts of mailing list participants Stephen
Goranson, Jonathan Lighter, George Thompson, and Dennis Lien.

Great thanks to Barry Popik for his pioneering research. Popik's
article included an important citation dated April 29, 1865 that
presented the earliest phrasing of the quotation.
[End acknowledgment]

Garson