[Ads-l] How the Los Angeles Times deals with obscenity

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 15 15:55:48 UTC 2018

Checking the web, it seems like “I’m f—ing scared right now” is an alternative rendering of Minoff’s tweet, along with “I’m [expletive] scared…”, “I’m **** scared…”, “I’m ___ing scared”, and (from Time) “I’m f—king scared…”.  Arguably, unlike “shithole countries”, this is not a case in which the taboo item is necessarily germane to the news story.  Some web stories embed the actual quote with “I’m fucking scared right now” and then gloss it in the text of the article as “I’m f—ing scared right now”, e.g. http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article200145234.html

LH