[Ads-l] Antedating of Jamboree

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 15 19:19:55 UTC 2018

Huh.  While I'd guess:
“'What ails my Love?’ asked Glorianna, regarding his face for the first
time; 'whence come these bruised cheeks, those bloody nose, this puffy lip
and ensanguined mug? Blow me if I don’t think you’ve been on a jamboree!'”

could just mean "been on a toot" or bender or something, I wondered what
"vinegar shoes and paper stockings"  could be. Another version of the song,
with "tambourine" instead of "jamboree" - still doesn't rhyme - and a
couple  of "Civil War poems" or "plantation songs" use the line but no hint
as to what it means.

Vinegar Shoes and Paper Stockings.

I went down to New Orleans,
I thought myself a man,
I'jumped upon" the bully boat
They call the Tallyvan.

Chorus.
Pick a tambourine, pick a tambourine,
Vinegar shoes and paper stockings, get up, old horse'

Yes, I jumped upon the boat,
And looked all around.
The engineer he whooped her up,
And run the boat aground.-Chorus.

I histed up the dishrag,
I sot it to the breeze;
It floated just like t'other.
Like another half a cheese.-Chorus.

The big dog he bow wowed,
And bristled up his back;
He thought he saw the pussy
Peekin' through a crack.-Chorus.

The old man loaded his gun,.
I pulled the trigger;
Slam, bang, went the gun.
And down came a nigger.-Chorus.

The captain's on the quarter deck,
A scratchin' of his head,
And jawing of the nigger
That's heavin' on the lead.-Chorus.

<http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/songster/pdf/10-vinegar-shoes-and-paper-stockings-song-lyrics.pdf>

Away down South in de fields of cotton,
Cinnamonseed and sandy bottom;
Look away, look away,
Look away, look away,
Den 'way down South in de fields of cotton,
Vinegar shoes and  paper stockings;

Versions like that go on to mention vinegar on beets makes them fine to eat
and some sound like "Dixie Land."

There "Way down South, in Alabama"
Vinegar shoes and paper stockings,
Set to me Miss Polly Hopkins;